8.03.2008

who turned out the lights?

So last night we had a little family outing. We went to AC Moore and then went to eat dinner at Olive Garden. Quite the experience since we have 3 small boys, but luckily they sat us WWWWAAAAAYYYY back in the back with the other families with small children. I'm glad because you don't have to worry about your kids disrupting someone's romantic dinner. :)
The boys did alright. Zach was really hyper. I'm really hoping this is just the age and not something like ADHD because that's what it seems like sometimes. It seems like he wants to stop jumping all over the place and obey us when ask him to stop, but he just can't. That scares Carl and I a lot. But maybe it's just his age and the fact that he's a little boy. We're still learning all this stuff, so time will tell. Until then, less sugar FOR SURE!!!!! :)
Drew did great and is now eating on his own. He's at the independant stage and we're very happy about that. He can now drink out of a straw and is learning to use utensils. Most parents would never give a toddler a "real" fork because what if he stabs himself? Well, last night, we did just that, and he did awesome! Great hand/eye coordination, just like Zach. And he gets all excited and proud of himself. He SOOOO wants to do eevrything his big brother does. Zach thinks it's funny now, but soon it wil annoy the heck out of him, I'm sure!
Ty, of course, smelled our dinner when it arrived and decided he needed to eat, as well. This always happens, so I'm pretty good at eating with one hand and feeding him witht he other...it's an art, really.
So, after we go to McDonald's for some ice cream (yes, I know we're cutting down Zach's sugar intake, but this was a special family time) and to let the boys get their energy out at the play place. Drew is our fearless leader. Zach is more timid around these kinds of play things. He always wants to go out theree and play, but never does it, or just wanders around. Drew, goes right in and up. Zach followed this time. We were so excited. We want Zach to experience fun things without being scared and it looks like Drew will bge his saving grace. Drew thought he was the coolest kid ever going in and out and up and down. He just kept smiling...such a sweetie pie. Zach actually went all the way up in the big part (where Drew couldn't go) and looked around. He was pretty proud about that and we were proud, too.
Funny, huh, how you never think about the stuff you'll be worried about as a parent. Like, I never thought my child not wanting to up in a play place would worry me. I thought I'd be happy that I wouldn't have to take the time to go out there with him and wait on him to play, etc. But I really WANT him to do these things. I think it's important. Hmmm...
So, we get home about 8:00p and guess what? Lights are out all over town! Great! Drew's exhausted, so I get him ready for bed and put him to sleep. It wasn't too bad until it started to get darker and darker and hotter and hotter....
We had candles which were helpful, but HOT! I had to make a bottle for Ty and the hot water had run out, so that was fun. Did I mention that Carl has a slat water aquarium and he had just gotten a new annenime? Well, there was no "flow" since the pumps weren't on and he was so freaked out that it wouldn't make it if the power was off for much longer. Funny how you forget how many things take power until it all goes out. I'm so used to there being TV's on or even just the hum from the air conditioning. It was so quiet last night. Sort of eerily quiet. So what do you do when there's no power? Carl and I sat downstairs with our candles on the table playing board games. How romantic...haha.
Finally at 3:30am, we heard the gush of the air conditioning and the bathroom light popped on....HOORAY!!!!!
What a night!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jamie Taylor said...

Thanks for understanding everything I went through with potty-training. What a strange experience, huh? We did have a poop accident tonight, which really bummed me out, but it's good to hear that it's normal...

I have to say that I totally understand what you're going through with Zach and Drew. Sammy is my quiet, timid one, and Dallen is into everything! I could totally see them in the McDonald's play thing doing the same things! (Except Dallen's a bit younger, but give it time.) Sammy's getting a little more brave when it comes to climbing things, but Dallen has already figured things out that Sam wasn't even CLOSE to at this age. How funny that our boys are kinda the same that way. :)